pegkerr: (Both the sweet and the bitter)
[personal profile] pegkerr
I enjoy summer, and I enjoy autumn. But I find the transition between the two seasons a little bit melancholy. It means letting go of certain pleasures of the season, before the pleasures of the new season can quite settle in.

The end of August can be splendid: the incredibly hot and humid days of the summer are over, and sitting on the porch feels perfect--a comfortable temperature, clear blue skies, a lovely breeze. I make homemade peach pies each summer, and this past week, I pulled out the last piece from my refrigerator. I ate that last, delicious piece with a great sense of wistfulness.

It felt like saying farewell to the last rose of summer.

My grocery store has a whole host of autumn treats newly arrived on the shelves: pecan and pumpkin-flavored truffles. I always stock up my freezer with maple pecan pie-flavored coffee this time of year. There are jars of pumpkin butter and maple butter. I lit one of my seasonal candles and put on a shawl for the first time.

I will be exceedingly sorry to say my annual farewell to leisurely meals on my front screened-in porch. But there will be tea, candlelight, delicious treats, warm sweaters, and coziness to come.

Image description: Background: semitransparent red-orange autumn leaves. Lower right corner: Keurig coffee cups in an assortment of fall flavors. Above, right center, a bottle of bourbon-flavored maple syrup. Upper right corner: a package of pumpkin spice-flavored kettle corn. Lower left corner: a piece of oatmeal-topped peach pie on a yellow plate. Top center: a yellow-orange sugar maple leaf with a hole in the center shaped like a heart. Overlaid on top: an open wild rose. Upper left corner: a jar of salted caramel apple spread.

Autumnal

37 Autumnal

Click on the links to see the 2026, 2025, 2024, 2023, 2022 and 2021 52 Card Project galleries.

Profile

pegkerr: (Default)
pegkerr

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  123 45
678910 1112
1314151617 1819
20212223242526
27282930   

Peg Kerr, Author

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags